Tuesday, August 16, 2011

The inevitable countdown

If you only have 24 hours to live, what would you do?

Had I a bucket list of sorts, I would waste no time in ticking the boxes. But I don’t, though I must. I’d write, for example, to forgive those who need to be forgiven and forget which ought to be. Perhaps, I would say words I should have and keep those that I’d regret. Number one rule is not to sleep, because a lot can happen with that much amount of time. Then the rest is up to me.

I’d start with the simple things: doing those I usually do and then those I never did, like stay outside for the entire day and feel the warmth of the sun on my skin (or dance in the rain). I’d watch the sunrise and the sunset, something I haven’t done before. I would eat my favorite dishes and go to the places I’ve never been to. I’ll appreciate everything around me a lot more that way. Also, I’d call my best friend up and beg her to come back to the Philippines to spend that day with me. This is especially so because I haven’t been with her since I was 14 and I really miss her.

In a more serious note though, there would be a big possibility that I will hold a living funeral and right away invite everyone I have known since the day I was born. That event would be in the morning and held in an open field. There I’d get overwhelmed by the number of people whose lives I have touched even just by a simple smile or hello. It would be the perfect picker-upper: to know that in my 19 years of existence I was truly appreciated by many. I’d say the things I’d like to say to them but wasn’t able to because I have not gotten the chance before, and they would do the same. Especially with the people I value most in my life such as my family and close friends, we’d spend that part of the day just reminiscing about the good (and maybe even bad) times we’ve shared and how that has affected the relationship we had.

We might even put on a show, much like a mini-concert to celebrate our lives. Everybody is welcomed to join us. It’ll be an afternoon of joy and jamming sessions. It’ll be our way to express ourselves. I have loved music for the longest time and I think singing and performing would be a good way to connect to people. Also with their help, we would altogether gather my writings and ask someone to publish it into a book. It will be a compilation of my works. There I would also be writing my last words. You see, publishing my own book, above all, has been my top life goal and it would be a shame if it doesn’t happen. Through out the day, I would let someone take lots of photos and document my every move. The photos could be included in my book also.

Finally, at night, I’d just spend more time with my family, because I know they’ll be greatly affected by my passing. I’ll assure them that everything will be alright and make them understand the reality of death. Life goes on no matter how much we don’t want it to. It’s just that, my time has finally come and I know for sure I’ll be happy as ever. I only wish that the people around me will be too.

"I shall not die of a cold. I shall die of having lived." – Willa Cather

No comments:

Post a Comment